As many of us here in Washington DC, Maryland and Virginia adjust to home confinement, our confidences have soared and many of us feel that we will take our cooking habits with us even after the world returns to “normal.” With that being said, a lot of us have taken up the courage to whip up our own relaxing cannabis-infused buzz treats and we’re here to help you solidify those skills or help usher in this new skillset in your life.
While it’s easy to just get our gummies delivered to you and call it a day, there’s something super satisfying about enjoying an edible you made yourself. Making canna butter or cannabis-infused oil is the first step when it comes to preparing your own Washington DC edible treats. It doesn’t require much effort but this is the most time-consuming part of the process, so we suggest you set aside a day before cooking your treats to prepare the butter. Then, whenever you’re ready to cook, it’s as simple as adding it to the treat itself.
How to Make Canna butter/oil
What You’ll Need:
- 1 cup of coconut oil, cooking oil or butter
- 1 cup (7-10 grams) of cannabis (we recommend Lost Coast OG Indica Strain )
- Parchment paper
- Mason jar and cheesecloth/net
What You’ll Need To Do:
- Decarboxylate the flower. MOST IMPORTANT STEP of the entire process and if not followed correctly, your canna treats will do nothing but taste of hemp. THC is the main part of cannabis that makes you feel high, and it cannot be activated without high heat temperatures.
Preheat the oven to about 245° F and while waiting for the oven to warm up, place your cannabis flowers on a non-stick, oven safe baking sheet/tray covered in parchment paper. Then place in the oven for 30-40 minutes (older cannabis may take slightly less time to decarb), mixing the flower around every 10 minutes or so.
- Grind the weed. Grind the de-carbed flower with a grinder.
- Melt your butter/oil. Place it in a small saucepan or pot, allowing it to simmer. Add some water to prevent overheating.
- Stir in the cannabis. Once the canna oil/butter is melted through, add your de-carbed greens and allow to simmer on low for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally and should never come to a boil.
- Strain the mixture. Once your butter/oil is cooled off and chilled, it’s time to strain it all. Place your funnel lined with the cheesecloth over the mason jar and pour it all over the cloth and allow it to strain freely. Refrigerate for future use!
And now, you have a mason jar filled of cannabis-infused cooking oil! The potency will depend on a few factors: duration it was cooked for, how hot the baking temp was and how bud’s potency. To test it out, try dabbing a teaspoon on a cookie and see how you feel in about an hour.